Spacecraft Flight Software Engineer
AST & Defense is seeking a motivated candidate to fill the position of spacecraft Flight Software (FSW) Engineer who will be responsible for contributing to the design, analysis and testing of FSW for space vehicles. The FSW engineer will work within the flight software development team and under the supervision of the software lead.
The successful candidate will take part in software engineering activities associated with the delivery of embedded FSW products for an Earth-orbiting mission. This assignment will include implementation of functional spacecraft capabilities that fall in areas of spacecraft command, communication, data management, fault protection and more.
The FSW engineer will work under a lead software engineer to understand the required capabilities of the functional area to determine the software approach for the development. The engineer will design a software architecture appropriate to the mission needs, develop and implement interfaces for COTS and proprietary hardware, and design and execute test protocols for format testing. The engineer should also be capable of clearly communicating design decisions and implementation details.
- Working with systems engineers, FSW peers and other subsystem leads to understand and expand on requirements based on high-level design details
- Developing an FSW design architecture that meets requirements
- Proposing, reviewing, and analyzing potential implementation approaches based on cost, complexity and schedule
- Developing the associated code following strict project coding guidelines and process requirements
- Developing, executing, and analyzing unit tests verifying satisfaction of requirements, proper implementation of interfaces, and code coverage
- Working with other subsystems to ensure proper integration of subsystem code into the functional design, as required
- Participating in development of computer-in-the-loop (CITL) and hardware-in-the-loop (HITL) systems
- Performing or providing oversight of CITL and HITL integration and testing
- Minimum of 5 years' experience in software engineering with 3 years of recent real-time embedded flight software experience
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or computer-related engineering field
- Recent background in FSW development with specific recent experience in the following languages and operating systems: C/C++ (proficient), Linux, FreeRTOS
- Recent experience with inter-process communication (IPC) mechanisms
- Excellent oral, written and diagrammatic communications skills, with the ability to translate complex ideas into clear concepts
- Experience debugging software/hardware interactions and possible failure modes
- Space flight experience is strongly preferred
- Recent experience with device driver development and software/hardware interfaces for both custom and commercial hardware
- Familiarity with Python
- Familiarity with the CubeSat Space Protocol
- Flexibility/adaptability in a fast-paced, dynamic team environment
Qualified applicants only, please. We'll review your résumé and contact you if we see a potential fit.
[wpforms id="3169" title="false" description="false"]
Location: College Park, Md.
Relocation: Assistance may be available
U.S. Citizenship: Required
Security Clearance: Must be eligible